Specific instructions will be provided to you based on your scheduled exam type, however general instructions are as follows:
- NO METALS may enter the MRI exam room.
- Notify the technologist of any implanted devices or pre-existing conditions.
- Wear loose-fitting, comfortable clothing without metal buttons, clasps, fasteners, or underwires. Please also avoid wicking/metallic fabrics. For your safety, and to ensure a successful scan, you may be asked to change out of your clothing into a gown or shirt and shorts that we provide.
- Remove all metal items including watches, jewelry, piercings, hairpins, belts, dentures, or external medical devices including hearing aids and patch medications unless instructed not to by your referring physician.
- Your cell phone, keys and credit cards are not allowed in the scanning room. We will provide a secure place for your belongings if you need to store anything during your exam.
- If you will have an MRI exam of the head, do not wear makeup or hairstyling products (gel, mousse, hairspray).
- If you are told an injection is to be administered for this exam, drink 16 oz. of plain, clear, unflavored water prior to arriving for your MRI appointment.
- Eat and take medication as you normally would, unless indicated differently to you for your specific exam. Some exams, such as MR Enterography and MR Arthrogram, have additional prep instructions which will be provided to you at the time of scheduling.
- If you are prescribed a sedative for your scan, a friend or family member will need to drive you home. We will be unable to discharge you following the exam without a driver present.