Specific instructions will be provided to you based on your scheduled exam type, however general instructions are as follows:
- If your exam includes oral contrast, do not take anything by mouth, other than water, 6 hours prior to your exam.
- Please be sure to drink plenty of water.
- We may ask you to change into a hospital gown for the exam.
- Please remove all metal, including jewelry, eyeglasses, dentures, hairpins, etc.
- The technologist conducts the CT scan from a control room. You can talk to the technologist throughout the exam.
- You will lie still on a table as it moves through the scanner. We may ask you to hold your breath for a few seconds during the exam.
- CT exams do require radiation. Following your exam, be sure to drink plenty of water to help flush the contrast from your body.